Monday, July 25, 2011

My New Best Friend - The Sari Saheli

If you have every worn a sari, you know how much of a pain it is to get dressed for an Indian event, most of the time you are already running late, and then you have to deal with wearing a sari...making the pleats, pinning it up so it doesn't fall apart...and if you are like me, the first time you wear the sari isn't always the best so you end up doing it again. 


Ladies, I have found a tool that has been saving me so much time in the past couple months, and after properly using it a few times now, I can honestly say I am so happy to have it! What is this amazing tool? The Sari Saheli!!



Basically this is a sari pleat maker that helps make sari pleats easy and perfectly sized. The set I got comes with the pleatmaker and 2 magnetic clips that help in the pleat-holding process. 


These clips seem like a gimmic, but I have found them to be really helpful while putting the sari on. The Sari Saheli site recommends using them instead of safety pins. However, I think they look tacky. Personally, I use the clips to hold the pleats in place until I can reach for a safety pin and pin the pleats together. 


So how do you use the Sari Saheli? Basically, when making pleats, you tuck in the Sari Saheli at your waist, and then use the clips on the Sari Saheli to hold each pleat as you make it. 


Ok, so I know that sounds kind of confusing, so here is a video that shows you how to do the front pleats on the "skirt" of the sari...these are the pleats that give you room to walk when wearing a sari. This video is in Hindi, but if you don't understand Hindi, this video is still helpful because vieweing the Sari Saheli in action gives a good idea of how to make the front pleats.


This next video shows you how to wear the traditional sari, and uses the Sari Saheli to make both the front pleats as well as the paloo pleats, where the sari paloo is pleated over the left shoulder: 


The Sari Saheli box also incudes a pictoral guide in the box, but honestly, I think the videos on the Sari Saheli website are better. 


So overall, it takes a few tries to get the hang of using this. I don't recommend using it for the first time when you are getting ready to go somewhere. Practice with it a few times at home so you feel comfortable using it. That time spent practicing is well worth it because when you do have to get ready for an event, making the pleats will be much faster and easier than doing it without the Sari Saheli. 

Also, I recommend this for gals who are new to wearing a sari. If you have been wearing a sari for many many years, you are probably so used to making pleats on your own that you might get frustrated using this, so I don't think this is meant for you. 


Oh and one more thing, I was so happy to have the Sari Saheli in my life that Sari Saheli offered to give you, my wonderful Kajal Couture readers, a 10% discount on the Sari Saheli when you purchase online! All you have to do is enter the code "KAJAL" in the discount code box during checkout. Oh, Sari Saheli does ship worldwide so don't think this is something for those in the US only.

Please note that I am not trying to sell this to you, but I genuinely think the Sari Saheli has helped improve my sari-wearing process. That is why I was so excited to tell you about this, and as you all know, when you find something you love, you want to tell everyone about it! =) 

34 comments:

  1. I haven't worn a sari ever yet, but when I do, I will need this saheli lol. Thanks for introducing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow very cool.I didn't know this existed. Thank for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @shivani Girl, this will be such a useful tool for when you do start wearing saris! Let me know what you think if you do get it!

    @Neena I was excited too when I found out about this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you soo much Kajal for sharing this info ..it's amazing..but for me the problem is I don't use credit card :(
    may be sometime when it comes under COD option, i'll definitely buy this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @vertu awww....I hope they offer a COD option soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey very nice review. Thank you very much. Aur aapki hindi bahut cute hai.
    Lekin mujhe lagta hai ki yeh pleates banana bas experience ki baath hai.
    Its like how you needed to practise tying your shoes laces when you were going too school - practice makes perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I adore you! I definitely need this in my life. I was about to get all saris made into ready made versions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is very nice collection. every person like it.every gilrs also like it.


    see more
    http://www.gravity-fashion.com/161-ready-pleated-sarees

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello kajal, is this useful while trying wear silk sarees? Also is the 10% discount still on? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow very nice post and Your information is very useful, i like it, you can find latest designer sarees from G3 fashions surat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi friends, amazing post, i like your post photos, Make this festive season exquisite by buying latest wedding sarees from paris sarees.

    ReplyDelete
  12. To Kajal, Since you don't like the clips for wearing with the sari, are you using standard or small size safety pins to secure the sari at the shoulder? I don't want to ruin the fabric by poking holes in it because I'm using a pin. I just purchase three very nice saris while I was in Delhi and I will be wearing them as soon as my tops/blouses are tailored. Thanks in advance for your advice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Its a great post, thanks for sharing it, really helpful for those who are trying out sarees for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm willing to buy this one.. Anyone kindly tell me, how much it'll cost(Pleatmaker & magnetic pins)?

    ReplyDelete
  18. how much rupee for saree saheli

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have Lovely and Beautiful Salwar Suit And Many More…
    We Have Some For You In Your Budget For more…
    Plz visit:- Cotton Printed Salwar Kameez

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lehnga choli is hot favorite dressing attire among the women of India and Pakistan. Its exotic designs and glamorous appeal has also reached beyond the borders and many women around the world wear it. It was highlighted and adorned by the mughal women.For More..
    Plz visit:- Lehenga Choli

    ReplyDelete

  21. Designer Silk Sarees is perhaps the desire of every single girl in this world to look amazing on her wedding day.
    It is certainly important that the bride must be the star of the show.The most beautiful woman at the wedding venue.
    In India,Silk Sarees are the most obvious choice for the brides.There are many Silk Sarees in our site...
    For more...
    Plz visit:- Silk Sarees

    ReplyDelete
  22. An adorable personality partnered with a perfect choice for Designer Dress unbeatable.
    Even before the blossom of modernization in Indian culture, kurta, sarees, and salwar kameez had been part of India's unique civilization.
    In India,Designer Salwar Kameez are the most obvious choice for the Young Ladies & Girls.There are many Designer Salwar Kameez in our site...
    For more...
    Plz visit:- Designer Salwar Suit

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. An adorable personality partnered with a perfect choice for Designer Dress unbeatable. Even before the blossom of modernization in Indian culture, kurta, sarees, gown and salwar kameez had been part of India's unique civilization. There are many Designer gown in our site...
    For more... Gown

    ReplyDelete
  25. want to buy it.

    9899079058
    please guide

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh my goodness!!! they look trendy.cotton duniya provides similar sarees

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is very nice collection thank you for sharing this blog...
    usaree

    ReplyDelete
  28. best tutorial for draping of sari.

    ReplyDelete
  29. wow this blog consists a great stuff..
    women who cant wear a saree can learn now..
    thank you for sharing this blog..
    Visit Here

    ReplyDelete
  30. WOW..!
    Such a fabulous posts..thank you so much for sharing..You can buy more from Click here

    ReplyDelete
  31. To have a very creative and new stylish silver earrings collection anyone should buy Best silver Jewelry from online shopping site Silver Shine.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nice articel, This article help me very well. Thank you. Also please check my site sambalpuri saree.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Saree saheli plate maker

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails