Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Is a $200 Hair Dryer Really Better Than A $20 Hair Dryer?

I have always wondered whether or not investing in a quality hair dryer is really worth it. I recently got my answer when trying out the HANAair Professional Hair Dryer:


This hair dryer, priced at $194.99 on Misikko.com is inspired by Italian design and claims to dry your hair up to 60% faster while maintaining natural shine while promoting healthy luxurious hair.


Hana Salon Air Hair Dryer Features:

  • Ion Technology- condition hair & reduces static electricity
  • Tourmaline & Titanium Oxide Technology- natural ions promote healthier hair
  • Silver Nanotechnology- for antibacterial Protection
  • Scratch Resistant Shell with black metallico finish adds durability and is easy to clean
  • Long life motor with low noise
  • Gyroscopically balanced for easy handling
  • Fiberglass concentrator
I recently compared this hair dryer to my basic $20 Conair hair dryer to see if the pricier version is worth the extra money. 


In terms of the dryer itself, they are both around the same size, the Hana has a longer cord which is great but it is slightly heavier than the Conair. Both have cold air capabilities, and they both have multiple heat and power settings:

Hana Settings

Conair Settings

One of the cool things about the Hana is that the cold air function is a button that you press once, you don't have to keep holding it down to get cold hair, which makes it easier to hold the dryer. With my Conair, the cold air button has to be held down. In terms of use, the Conair heats up right away. The Hana takes about 15 seconds to reach the appropriate heat setting, which is kind of annoying. That being said, the Hana doesn't get super hot, but still delivers the results! I really like this because the technology of the Hana allows it to dry your hair without burning your hair! Sometimes with my Conair my hair feels so hot that I think it is dry, but once I let the hair cool down, I realize it is still damp and I have to re-dry that section of hair. I don't have this issue with the Hana. 

Now for the real results. I have used both dryers without the concentrator attachment to do a quick-and-dirty dry, and I have used both with the attachment to get a smooth, straight look. Both hair dryers give me a similar look, but the experience is totally different. Here, I dried my hair the quick-and-dirty way:

Left: Conair-dried, Right: Hana dried

Visibly, you can't tell I used different hair dryers. But when I tried my hair with the Hana, my hair dried completely in half the time it took with the Conair! When I dry my hair straight with the attachment, it takes about 30 minutes with the Conair, and with the Hana it only takes me 15 minutes!! This might not be 60% faster like the company claims, but 50% faster is worth cheering for in my book!

Also, the hair dried with the Hana felt much smoother. Even my hubby noticed (and he doesn't notice much when it comes to hair). 

So to answer my question of whether the $200 hair dryer is better than the $20 hair dryer, my answer is a big, fat YES! Any product that helps me get ready faster in the morning is worth it, especially when you consider how long a product like a hair dryer will last. For me, it saves 15 minutes each time I dry my hair. Consider that times the number of times I dry my hair in a year, and if the drier last several years, thats like days of time that I am saving by using the pricier hair drier! For me, the Hana definitely is the Best Hair Dryer

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I've been wondering whether to invest in a pro hair dryer...thanks for this...I might check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one...

    Thanks for posting...I've been looking to get a new dryer.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails