Monday, November 16, 2009

Gold and Glamorous - Stila Shadow Trio Gold Glow Review

I love gold. There I said it. I am proud of it.

Gold is so glamorous and luxurious. It makes you feel gorgeous and makes you glow from the inside and out. I have always loved gold makeup, but gold eyeshadow in particular always holds a place close to my heart. I must have numerous gold shadows in my collection, but I never cease to pick up just one more....

...which is why I got the Stila Shadow Trio in Gold Glow. This is a mineralized shadow, and although I am not a huge fan of mineralize shadows, I decided to give this one a try because it did not have huge chunks of glitter in it, and the colors were very pretty when swatched:

Overall, I like this product. It is very similar to the MAC Warm Blend MSF that was released a few months ago, but that had large chunks of glitter in it, and with that came the fallout. The Stila shadow trio does not have fallout. I did a couple quick looks using this shadow trio, and was so excited to try out the product, I forgot to use the foil technique of dampening my brush before grabbing the shadow. I probably would have got a more intense payoff that way, but in any case, you can see how the colors are on their own, knowing that foiling them would result in a better look.

In this first look, I applied the darkest shade along my lash line and through the lid, the medium shade in the crease, and the lightest shade as my highlight. I was going for a subtle smoky look:


I ventured out a little more in this next look. I applied the lightest shade in the inner corner of my eye (I did a quick and messy job, which is why there is a little too much highlight in the bottom corner), the medium shade on the outer lid, and the darkest shade in the crease:


There was not a huge difference between the medium and darkest shades, but it was still apparent enough to give enough of a shaded effect. Overall, I really liked this shadow and will be using it a lot on those days when I want something glowy on my lids, but don't have enough time to spend creating a complicated look. The trio is so easy to use with all colors in one spot, they blend well together, and complement each other. The shimmer is not too over the top, so it is wearable for both work and play. The shadow pan itself is quite large so I will probably never finish it, but meh, do I really finish any shadows?

Kajal Couture Rating: B+

Kajal Couture Overall Opinion: Great shadow for an easy-but-still-has-visual-interest look. Colors blend well and are very smooth. I would have given it an A if the colors were more pigmented, especially the darkest shade, and the price was cheaper (alone this retails for $28, but is available right now in the Stila Gift of Appreciation set that is currently only $38).

What do you think of this? What are your Stila faves?

4 comments:

  1. I love gold makeup too! Something about that just makes your skin glow. I like the letter grade rating system, it helps sum up how you feel about the product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! I love it! It looks amazing on your eyes. I haven't used gold for a long time, but this really makes me want to go back to gold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Neena Yay, glad the rating system helps! I know gold looks amazing on you too!!

    @K Aw thanks sweetie! WIth the holidays coming up, now is a great time to rediscover the gold in your makeup stash!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sigh. i wish i could wear rich, gold tones. but alas, with my pale asian yellow-toned skin - it ends up making me look like an oscar statuette or like i have jaundice from dengue fever :(

    it looks gorgeous on your olive skin though - and the color of your eyes, so pretty! the gold brings out the bronze flecks in the middle, i like! i find the stila shadows a little bit disappointing at times, but overall it's a pretty great brand :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails