Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Favorite Highlighters of the Moment

Right now I am LOVING my Stila highlighters. I go through phases where I uses certain products obsessively, and right now I can't seem to do my makeup without one of these:

Stila All Over Shimmer Liquid Luminizer in Shade #1

Stila Illuminating Finishing Powder in Rose Gold

The Liquid Luminizer is a gorgeous silvery, off white color, that gives your skin a healthy glow. It really does give your skin a luminous, natural looking glow, without making you look shiny or greasy. The packaging is like nail lacquer, in that the product is to be brushed onto the skin. I like this much better than one large opening because I have better control of how much I apply.
This stuff is very strong and a little goes a long way. I do a thin swipe above my cheekbones and down the bridge of my nose, then rub the product into the skin with my fingers. I find this gives the most natural look. Some days I even apply a tiny bit to my browbone to highlight, and it works perfectly! You can also mix in a tiny drop with your foundation or moisturizer to give you a nice glow to your entire face. Because of the size of the brush, it is easy to apply a lot, so you will have to play with it a couple times before you get it just right. Less is definitley more with this one. That is also a good thing because this bottle will last you for ages!!

In the swatch above, I did a slight blend, so you can see the color. If you blend thoroughly, the product does not appear so shiny and white. Shade #1 is great for skin tones like mine (around NC30 - NC35 in MAC) or lighter. If you are darker, then I recommend trying out Shade #3 which is a golden color.

I am also a fan of the Illuminating Finishing Powder in Rose Gold as a highlighter because it is a soft highlight and not at all glittery like the MAC Mineralize Skinfinishes. Highlights should enhance the natural curves of your fave, not draw attention to them like a disco ball. This shade is flattering for all skin tones and I think it is the most natural looking of all the shades offered.

One thing to remember with highlighters is to apply a little, and if you feel that nobody will notice it, that is probably all you need. When you look in a mirror or in sunlight, you should be able to tell you have applied it, but to others it should look like glowing, natural skin. I am going to do a post on where and how to apply highlighters so stay tuned for that!

6 comments:

  1. Love, love, love highlighters! they dive you such a dewy finish. Have you ever tried the Benefit's high beam? I really want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never used a highlighter before. Those look so good, though...hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of glowing skin. Looks like something I might want to try. I'm looking forward to your post on highlighting. I have a MAC MSF for highlighting but I haven't really used it much cause I'm not sure how much is to much. Your description above really helps and makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Hope I haven't tried that one, but it's on my wish list!

    @K oooh, you should try one out! I will be doing a post on how to highlight so hopefully that helps you out!

    @Neena Highlighting can be so subtle but can look so amazing. It adds that "I don't know what it is but she looks glowy and gorgeous" look. I'm sure you will love it once you try it more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so hesitant to try any highlighter thus far, but this looks great. :) I am definitely going to pick one up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @shivanixx You should definitely try them out! I will be doing a post very soon regarding how to highlight and I will show you some tools and tricks that I use.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails