Friday, August 26, 2011

Laura Mercier Shy Pink Lip Stain Review

In the past couple months I have developed a new affinity to lip stains. I like having color on my lips but not having to constantly reapply and worry about the feeling of lipstick. I recently finished my all-time favorite lip stain - MAC's Secret Crush Lip Stain from the Rose Romance collection, so I have been on the hunt for a new one. That hunt led me to the Laura Mercier counter where I found this:


Laura Mercier's Lip Stains are described as having "the visual effect of a stain with the comfort and sheen of a lip gloss." The shade I tried is Shy Pink, a light, berry pink shade that I was hoping would be semi-darkened version of my natural lip shade.  

Left: Swatch of Shy Pink from finger, Right: Swatch of Shy Pink blended

The shade itself is a bit more cool-toned and has some purple in it. It is definitely workable for school/work or a night out. 

Shy Pink in Natural Light

In natural light the shade looks more purple. In artificial light the shade looks more mauve-y. 

Shy Pink with Flash

The description of the product itself is pretty realistic, but I think the name "lip stain" is misleading. Stains are usually products that add pigmentation to the lips and get absorbed by the lips so you don't feel anything. This product is not like that....I can actually feel it on, it doesn't get absorbed, and it will transfer to a glass, mug, husband, etc. That being said, the feeling of the product on the lips goes away in about 45 minutes, but the color will still be there. I guess that is why they call this a stain. It lasts about 2.5 hours on my lips, which is annoying because if you want to reapply you have to use a brush or your finger...why do brands still make lip products in jars?

The pigmentation is pretty good and it is non-sticky. That being said, I would think of this as more as a tinted lip balm, except it is not moisturizing or creamy. It is somewhat of a lipstick in a jar....I think. 

Needless to stay, I am still on the hunt for my next favorite lip stain. Any recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails