Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Eyeliner Week Continues - New Way to Use Pencil Eyeliner

Lately, I have been using a new technique to apply pencil eyeliner:

I take a small, angled brush that I would normally use for a cream or gel liner, 


 I swipe the bristles against the pencil to pick up the color,


Then, I brush the pencil against my lid. I find that when I use a brush to apply pencil liner, I have more control of how the liner is applied. If I pick up more color on the bristles, I can get more opaque, rich color. If I pick up less color, I can get a softer, more subtle look. The pigmentation from pencil liner is also a lot more forgiving. With gel or cream liners, every little mistake can be seen. With the pencil pigment, you can cover up or fix mistakes easily. 




The above pic shows a swatch of the MAC Blacktrack Fluidliner gel liner applied using a MAC 208 brush on top. The bottom swatch is of the MAC Feliner Kohl Power pencil applied with the same brush. Of course, the intensity and crispness is less defined with the pencil, but the imperfections are less noticeable.

I personally like this technique because I have more control over the liner application. Of course, most people like pencils because they are quick and easy, and using a brush defeats that. I do however think this technique is worth a try because of how much control you have over the liner application. Also, pencils don't dry out like gel/cream liners so if you don't wear liner often, you don't have to worry about wastage. If you are trying to learn how to use a brush to apply a gel/cream liner, this is a great way to get used to the brush application, before moving on to the gel/cream liner.

Have you tried using a brush to apply pencil liner? What's your take on it?

11 comments:

  1. Honestly I think this is a gr8 idea. But personally for me, it is a lil like the idea of applying lipstick from the tube with a lip brush. I agree with the experts that it does give far better application, color & look... But, I don't think I would be able to do this on a everyday basis. I might try it out on a day when I have time.

    But it is nice that you are experimenting and coming up with new ways to make good use of products :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow fantastic tip! I agree with tanveer that this is not something I will be able to do everyday, when I'm in a rush. But I'm looking forward to experimenting with this tip.

    Please keep the tips coming :) they're great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tanveer Yeah, I know that using a brush isn't always the quickest way to get your makeup on and go, but when you aren't running out the door, it gives great results!

    @Poohkie Glad you are enjoying the tips!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought of using a brush for a pencil liner, I like this idea. I'll definitely be trying this tip out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried this but will be giving it a go next time I use pencil liner - thanks for the tip! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to do this all the time because I didn't have gelliner. I used to do it with a bit of mascara too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do this all the time, especially with really soft liners like the Stila Kajal ones. Sometimes I just dot the liner across my lashline and then blend it into a line with the brush.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agreed, plus you don't have to worry about keeping your pencil liners 100% sharpened all the time when you want a very thin line - especially if the pencil liner is on the creamier side...! ;)
    It's a neat trick!

    PS:Really enjoying your liner posts! ;)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Neena Let me know what you think once you try this technique!

    @LilyLipstick Hope this tip helps you out! =)

    @Keerthana Glad to know I'm not the only one who does this! It works well with mascara too! Especially when you are in a bind and don't have many products with you!

    @LISA Agreed...this works especially well with soft liners.

    @tina_mbc Glad you like this trick and these liner posts! Hope you are enjoying your time off from blogging, but glad to keep in touch by having you read and comment on KC! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really want to try this technique, I've heard about it before...i always wear black eye pencil on my top and bottom lash lines,and water line! I wondered if you could give me some advice, maybe it's because i wear contacts but my eye pencil smudges quite often, i've found using black eyeshaodw to set the liner at the bottom lash line does help a bit, but is it safe to wear gel liner on the waterline? great blog x

    ReplyDelete
  11. i just had someone tell me to try using my brow pencil this way! now i'm looking forward to doing it with both!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails