Sunday, July 26, 2009

MAC Suntint SPF 20 Review

I never thought this day would come, but to my shock and horror, it has. There is now a MAC product that I actually do not like. GASP!! Sure there are products I prefer over others, and some colors I might stay away from, but I can usually make things work for me. Until now.

As part of the Baby Bloom collection that MAC launched last Thursday, they released a new lip balm - the Suntint SPF 20 Liquid Lip Balm. MAC.....Lip Balm....sun protection....pretty colors...sounds amazing right? Well in theory, yes, but in reality, I am not impressed. It is not super thick and gooey, but it is also not liquidy. It is somewhere in the middle. Not as jelly-like as the lip gelees, and less glossy that a gloss. The texture is nothing to write home about and neither is the overall product. Here's why:

1. The colors are sheer. When I mean sheer, I mean it looks like clear gloss. If that is what you are going for, great! But if I'm using something with no color, I might as well get a colorless lip conditioner. Check out the swatch below. This is the darkest of all the shades, Full of Grace. It looks like a nice summery pink when it is glopped on, but once spread out, as it would be on the lips, it is totally colorless.


2. The taste. These guys don't have the typical vanilla-y scent and flavor that all the other MAC lip glosses and tinted lip conditioners (TLCs) have. This tastes like plastic. No, I do not eat my lip balm, but some always gets into the inner portion of the lip and I can totally taste the disgustingness that is plastic. No matter how hard I try, I can't get over it and it keeps bothering me.

3. It's really not that conditioning! If I am going to use a lip balm, I want it to be a balm! I want it to be moisturizing and conditioning, and leave my lips soft. After this wears off, it leaves my lips craving moisture and my lips do not feel very soft. I almost feel like I have an allergy to one of the ingredients because my lips just feel rough and scratchy, even while the product is on. I have never had this type of feeling with any other lip product, especially MAC, so I'm not sure if its me or the products itself.

Check out the lip swatch below to get a better idea of the glossiness level. This is the natural color of my lips and so the only effect is the glossiness of the balm.

Overall this left me wanting more. I was hoping to find a new fave, but unfortunately this was not it. For now I will be sticking to my TLCs and my carmex.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails